Tuesday, October 16, 2007

First Check up

We decided to go without our nanny to the hospital this noon for Felicia's first check up.  

She is doing great, she's currently 3.5KG (born 3.25KG, when released from the hospital was 3.2KG) and had her first polio vaccination.

I enjoyed our first trip just the three of us outside the house.  And I'm proud to say that we manage it without nanny!!  hahahaha...perhaps for all of you who live outside indonesia this is really nothing.

But for us, well, it's really something else.  

See, before I got pregnant, I saw a lot of young children carried by their nanny while their mum and dad walk in front of them as if their kids didn't even exist.  Well, I try not to be judgmental, but I just found it weird that people spent a lot of resources to have and raise kids, but it is their nanny who enjoy it.  

The final straw was when I was at church, I saw this beautiful lil girl, about 4 years old.  I'm sure her parents were around, but she wasn't sitting with them.  She was joking with her nanny at the back seat, then hug her nanny.

I thought, OMG.  I mean, there's nothing wrong having a nanny ( I knew I wouldn't be able to get any rest without one), but when your child choose your nanny over you for comfort, that's just wrong.  don't you think?

Oh well, perhaps they have their own reasons, and perhaps I'll be doing the same thing in five years.  I hope not though...




8 comments:

Han said...

You can love your child shamelessly at home, but when u go out your nose should be pointing toward the sky. Dont talk to anyone below your class and never make eyes contact with them. Wait nm you can do that in china, but I heard Lawrence told me u get stoned in Indonesia for doing that. Disregard that comment.

vini said...

i dont understand mr. hans point...dont talk to anyone below your class???? never make eyes contact??? can someone explain?

imoet said...

I don't understand either....
I might be someone below your class :D

There're lots of similar cases, Vi. It MIGHT simply because the child spends more time with the nanny than the mother. Though we live in Indonesia, I think I won't hire a nanny. Let the maid the the house chores, I'll take care of my son :p

Lots more trips are waiting for the three of you. Enjoy! (^__^)

The Diva said...

UH BETE!!! I wrote a LOONG comment and it wasn't saved!!!
Anyway, my point is... I don't understand the concept of kids being so close, even closer to the nanny than the parents either.

I have A LOT of friends who are STILL ATTACHED to their nannies until highschool, still living with their "Mbak Sus(ter)" and sharing things with them... trust me, their parents HAVE NO CLUE about their kids' development whatsoever, the nannies know the kids better!!
It's such a pity...

To be honest, despite the constant fights and the eternal struggles between my mom and me, I have to say I am GLAD that she knows me quite well, and she has raised me (and my brother) all by herself without a nanny
(even if there were any, the job description would be washing the dirty laundry and giving the mummy some break from the baby, not REPLACING the mummy-function).

Just got an sms from my Dad, my parents are on 1-week-holiday in Shanghai, it's just the second day and my mom has already been doing SHOPPING BINGE for me (all stuffs from accessories, clothes, bags, etc, etc). She's the world's BIGGEST shopper and kid's spoiler, have I told you that?

My point is, I am glad that having raised me by herself, my mom knows me very well, right to my taste, my flavour, my favourite stuffs, down to my exact size (outfits AND underwear!!!)

Han said...

Vini: It's just a joke. Lawrence is a few classes under me, but I am still his friends.

Vivi said...

Well, Sheila would point out that of all people who wrote comments here, perhaps I'm the one with no class...hehehe...no sense of fashion, no john-robert-powers manners.

Do as I pleased, say as I thought.

Han: thanks for your comments! it sure is good to have man's point of views in this circle. you should comment more when you have time.

Ce Vini: Don't be shock, I always think Mr. Han is a bit quirky sometimes (it's a compliment Han)

Imoet: Yeah, believe it or not, now I wish I don't have to work and can stay at home taking care of my baby until she starts kindergarten. Hei, have you taken Iki to go swimming? how old is good age to do that?

Sheila: You should save the sms for future "complications" on your mother-daughter relationship hehehe...yeah, I can imagine having just one daughter, she must spoil you good. My mum has three daughters though, and each of us think that she loves the other more sometimes...hahahahaha...

anyway, my nanny job desk is precisely what you described now. too bad i have to go back to the office in two months...

Hei, send me email on your msn account will you??

vini said...

but three of us grew up with our nanny, since our parents have to work. every single day mom would call at about 1 pm to ask about homework, incoming test, and test result. i never felt that i am attached to my nanny more than my mom. though i have this regret, when bek na came to visit one time, she was sooo excited to see me, she wanted to hug and kiss me i guess, but i was like woo, give me some space here. i should have cared for her more, i dunno why that time i felt nothing. too cold i guess....how is she now anyways. cici had her till she was in high school huh???

vini said...

han: wow! thats very nice of you, lucky lawrence!!