Friday, September 10, 2010

Holiday is here! Day 1: Retail Therapy


Today is the first day of the annual lebaran holiday, and this year we have more than 10 days off, which I should be grateful of and I am, but can't help feeling slightly disappointed that I don't have any overseas travelling, europe-exploring itinerary planned.

But, I refuse to drown in self pity and spent the holiday regretting things I couldn't do and places I didn't go. Instead, I would try to make the best out of it. Correction, I WILL make the best out of it.

Today had been a good start: RETAIL THERAPY

Ming, Felicia and I went to Tunjungan Plaza. I've warned him that I need some time to get some of the things I need, and he's totally okay with it and didn't even complain one bit about having to babysit Felicia while I did some shopping.

And I meant shopping, at least for my standard (have never been much of a shopper)

So I went to Sogo, since it's always the best place to start. I started out with the easiest thing to buy to warm up the shopping spirit: get some new underwear, and just for the fun of it, I chose some tacky color that I'd normally wouldn't look twice. Oh well, don't want to bore myself. Once that's done, I planned to get some new skirts and shoes, but then I saw some cute shirts that are not only available in the right size and fitted nicely, but also at discounted price!

So I went to the cashier and found the underwear was also discounted, so I thought, what the heck, I told the cashier that I'd take two of every color I chose.

After paying that, I went one floor up to find a skirt. It took a little longer, and I spent some time trying some different skirts, but wasn't convinced until I found it: a cute black skirt that again, available in my size. Just as I was about to pay, Ming called me and asked me to meet up with him and Felicia for lunch. So I postponed paying and we had nice meal in Duck King with hainam rice, ribs, tofu, and chicken dish.

Once that's done, I told him I wasn't finished and went back to Sogo. I stopped by to check some bedsheet, and was tempted to buy Bloomingdale's Jacquard sheet which was discounted from USD200 to... USD70!!! Honestly, I didn't plan to buy a bedsheet, but the lady at the counter was so eager to help that I feel bad. So I let her check if they have it in King size bed and whaddaya know, they don't! It's a divine intervention that I need, there's a few thing I hate more than spending money on things I didn't really want and regret them afterwards, let alone sleeping on them.

Then, since I was on ground floor, it's closer to get to the shoes department...I went in and headed straight to my favorite brand, Hush Puppies. The last pair of shoes I bought for work was in 2008 from the same brand (I can't believe it's been two years! well, shopaholic I am definitely not). It's comfortable, but it really worn out already. Few months ago I was about to buy new pair but instead pick a high heel slipper that wasn't really practical. Looks nice but not nice enough for party and too high for work.

So, I went in, saw it and must simply have it. It was just great. Comfortable, the heel's not too high, and they have it (yup) on my size and though it's a bit pricey I don't mind, hey, I bought shoes every two years, cut me some slack here!
it's cute and comfortable, I love the lining inside though it didn't have any point since it won't be visible once i put them on, but it's the thought that counts right?

Anyway, after paying, the cashier told me another nice surprise: with the combined purchase I made, I got a gift voucher AND a free gift. The free gift turned out to be a tacky, zebra pattern make up bag, which would make me shudder normally but hei, who cares, it's free!

After that satisfying purchase, i went upstairs to pay for my skirt, and with the discount and gift price, I only have to pay.... EUR 10 !!! mwahahahahaa...I just love this country sometimes.

So finally feeling guilty for leaving Ming to handle Felicia, I called him and we plan to meet up in Timezone, but once I got there, he told me that he's inside this timed-hourly playground and I still had few time to spare...so I headed up for this recently open furniture store.

I didn't find what I was looking for (coffee table and a nice one-seater sofa with ottoman). Well, actually, I found the sofa but it cost around USD500. It's insanely comfortable and I can so totally imagine curling up with good book on it. But I don't know if I'm ready to spend USD500 on it. Who knows, probably I'll change my mind by the time the holiday's coming to its end. Will keep you updated on it. Oh, and it's not really one seater sofa, it's more like LaZ Boy chair I found.

Anyway, I didn't buy anything there and went back to meet up with Ming and Felicia. It's 3 pm by the time we went home, and we were a bit surprised when we realized we just spent four hours in shopping malls. It never happened before, lol.

So we went home, Ming's taking care of his lovebirds, Felicia's taking a nap, and I found a reply from this online furniture shop!!!

So I need some opinion here.... I'm thinking of buying this coffee table.

I always like the traditional, wooden furniture, at least I always prefer them over the more modern one, and both Ming and I decided not to pick anything with glass since Felicia broke my side table last time. The thing is, I haven't even seen the actual goods. You know in here, craiglist and ebay is virtually unheard of and we don't normally make online purchases, especially on furniture.

BUT, here's why today is good day for shopping, this coffee table is brand new, made of mahogany and only cost....USD100 (though I'm still crossing my fingers waiting for news on shipping cost). So if I do go ahead and buy it and got disappointed...well, at least it's not that expensive anyway...

So what do you think? Should I buy it or not?






2 comments:

The Diva said...

i like the coffee table!!! it's vintage and goes with your leather sofa!!!

vini said...

i have quite the opposite opinion with the diva. though it iw nice, but..first, where r u going to put the coffee table? second, your leather sofa has the table already, this additional one will look awkward.

i go for the idea of the onechair sofa. am thinking of buying rocking chair as well after i see the diva rocking chair picture hehe...if you will cuddle in it with books, i will with my new laptop (donno when i will make it come true though).