Monday, May 19, 2008

long weekend...

This tuesday, May 20th, is supposed to be public holiday in Indonesia. But our company decides to switch it with today, Monday, so that we can have a long weekend.

Anyway, it didn't begin well. I planned to go for a date with Ming on Saturday, but it was duly cancelled since we worked overtime until 4:30 pm and was so tired afterwards.

Then I woke up at 5:30 am on Sunday, played with Felicia for a short while, and, really did not want to go back to sleep, i thought...It's about time I did what I promised myself to do ever since I got married two years ago. Taking a walk to Balai Kota!!

I've always drove by the place every morning when I go to work, and sometimes on Sundays. and I always want to do morning jogging like I did with my mom before i got married, and the place looks like amusement park every sunday morning! teeming with people of all ages, just enjoying the morning. and I've always been curious about this spot in Ondomohen aka Jl. Walikota Mustajab, a street vendor that's always crowded every weekend in the morning. What are they selling???

But of course, Ming thought that it was a crazy idea for couple of reasons: a. That we had to wake up THAT early in the morning on Sunday, the only day when we can sleep it off until 9, or at noon even. and b. That we, with our signature chinese eyes, (and for his case, very, extremely) fair skin that would make us stood out among the rest of the crowds, something we don't normally do in this country with our "keturunan" attached to our ID card.

Anyway, so i thought. What the heck. I was up at 5:30 am on Sunday morning was unusual enough, why not doing something extraordinary as well?

So, I asked my maid to accompany me, and we both walked to the seemingly-close city hall ( I didn't realize that it'd take a 20 minutes walk one way when it took only 1 minute drive. okay, 2 minutes).

It's quite interesting. as expected. I did stand out. People did stare, though without malice and perhaps just out of curiousity, a chinese girl in bright red shirt accompanied by the maid. A Pamong Praja Police actually turning his head from his car to get a good look. Which made me slightly nervous.

The route was close to the Pemuda Pancasila headquarters, a Golkar youth organization, and my bright red shirt said "Go Reds!!", a gift from Jun Sung during college years when Korea competed against Spain in World Cup 2002. But it could also be misinterpreted as PDI sign. Was he Pamong Praja Police or Pemuda Pancasila member? Was it not so tactful way of choosing the shirt or was I just being paranoid?

I decided that I was just being paranoid and proceed.

I reached the Balai Kota safe and sound. Passing by two cars selling Pecel rice. Watching people jogged, joked around, played badmintons, volley balls, bringing their babies, their girlfriends, their children. and it's not even 7 am yet. This country surely rises early.

Then I went to Ondomohen, trying to figure out the location of the vendor. easily found apparently. It was very crowded. They're selling Sate Kelapa!. Looks yummy. I mean, must be. just by the sheer number of people who were eating there and lining up waiting. I ordered two portions to go.

I had it for my brunch with my parents and Ming. It's...okay.

After my nap, I went shopping with my parents at night. I thought my wardrobe could really use some help, the shirts I bought when I was returning to work six months ago start to wear off, and I really grew sick and tired wearing the same things. I found good stuffs from Suzuya and Theme in Sogo. They're worth every penny I spent.

Today, Ming and I spent the day in Surabaya Town Square, a (rather new) mall near Gelora Pancasila filled with restaurants. Had some malay food in Malay Village and watched Iron Man afterwards. I knew it! Robert Downey Jr. was a genious in disguise, despite his crazy earlier years. love him in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang as well.

and so it all comes down to this.

The end of the long weekend.

The message I got that I need to call one of my customers tonight (I'd do it first thing in the morning).

The dreading of morning, day, and week ahead.

hhh...

4 comments:

Lord Steiner said...

very productive blogging weekend too :)

The Diva said...

hahaha, you keep on telling me a whiner, whereas you're actually one biggie whino too, hahahaha....
dreading your working days everytime, huh?

OH well... I love reading your postings...
I think this one is particulary interesting... hmmm guess I'm glad I can take a walk around town here without having prejudices or anything. Being stared at, sure... but only cos I'm pretty, not cos I'm chinese, hihihi...

Vivi said...

I didn't complain! I merely stating that I so not looking forward to work!

vini said...

dont do that again, its not safe!!